Thursday, August 4, 2011

Conversations with a cat / thoughts on...rheumatology

You may not know this about me, but I am a very indecisive person. And if you didn't know that before, then you probably could have guessed from the title. Yes, I am having a moment and can't choose what to blog on. Well the truth is that today was split right down the middle with some UPS and DOWNS.

UP: rheumatology


I actually had no idea what I was getting into when I asked to shadow a rheumatologist. Sure I knew that they deal with inflammatory conditions like arthritis but that was about it. If you want to know the REAL reason I requested this specialty it's because I looked on ratemds.com and chose a doctor who scored 5/5.

Shallow? Maybe a bit. But if you're gonna learn from a doctor you might as well learn from one that patients love! Right??

So, what are my impressions after 2 days of shadowing a rheumatologist? I actually really enjoyed it! Rheumatology is a subspecialty of internal medicine but it's so much more than joints. It looks at the body as an entity and sees how everything is related...so that captures muscles, bones, tendons, etc! Yesterday the doctor worked with a physiotherapist and I was blown away by the dozens of patients who raved about symptom relief. I am definitely sold on the treatment they do.


DOWN: emotional shtuff

It's quite possible that I'm uber emotional for biological reasons. But it's also my last day in Bridgewater! How did 6 weeks fly by in the blink of an eye?? There have also been some personal issues that have been draining. So...

...I cried...and talked to Maxie the cat.


Wait, don't freak out! I believe it's perfectly healthy to have a good cry once in a while! But do you know what the weird thing is? I think Maxie understood what was happening. I was curled up in a little ball on the floor next to her and she repetitively nudged my arm with her little nose. Not the I want love and attention nudge, but more of a I'm here for you nudge. It actually made me cry more. haha. But she also made me feel a lot better! I'm gonna miss that cat!


Have you ever had a moment where you sensed your pet understood what you were feeling?

No comments:

Post a Comment