Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Make your own won ton!

One thing I love about being a halfer (1/2 chinese, 1/2 caucasian) is that growing up I've been exposed to 2 different cultures. Another bonus? Yummy home-cooked chinese meals!!

Like won ton soup!

We've been making this ever since I can remember and it's always a family effort.

This is only half of what we made last night.


But how do they get into that cute dumpling-form? I'm glad you asked!! :D

To make won ton, you need:

Won ton wrappers (available at your local asian grocer)


Pork filling (recipe to come at a later time). You will also need a small bowl of warm water (not pictured.


Place about a tbsp of pork filling on the centre of the won ton wrapper. Dipping your finger in water, wet the border of 1/2 the wrapper (so it makes a U-shape)


Fold your little won ton baby in half (so that the wet edges meet the dry). Press the edges together.


The next step is the most difficult to explain. Dip your finger in the water again and wet the bottom right corner of the won ton (on the side facing you). Then, fold the bottom edges of the won ton wrapper together so that the bottom left corner (down-facing side) lies on top of of the bottom right corner (up-facing side). It should look something like the picture below.


Or if that doesn't work, wet all the corners and squish them together...I think I did that out of frustration when I was little :D.

That is literally the most difficult and time-consuming part of the whole thing! All you have to do after that is boil some water and add the won ton. Once it comes to a boil again, you add about 2 cups of cold water and let it come to a final boil.


We like to serve our won ton with chicken stock and a shake of soy sauce, all over a bed of peas and garnished with fresh cilantro.


This dish will remain one of my all-time favourites! And one of the best parts is that the won ton you don't use can be frozen and boiled at a later time. Soooo sooo convenient :)


What were some of your family staples growing up?

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! Soooooo gooooood. My family staples at home were fried noodles and noodle soup! Now that I am married, that includes dumplings and turkey dinners! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, these look so fancy! These would be great to serve at a party :)

    My food staples when I was a kid were peanut butter and honey sandwiches and frozen chicken. Now that I don't eat chicken, I actually kind of miss that crappy breaded stuff! It's nostalgic :)

    ReplyDelete