Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Very Special Med I Prog Dinner

It's amazing what culinary talent is revealed through progressive dinners. I swear that some people in the Med I and II classes should consider opening restaurants on the side...you know, with all the spare "self-directed learning" time we have ;).

Yesterday I had the delight of being a guest in the homes of two Med I's. It was their way of saying thank you to our class for welcoming them to DalMed during o-week. The first stop of the night was at Cory & Ciji's where we enjoyed bruschetta, fresh from the oven and an assortment of veggies & dip as appetizers.

Dinner (please excuse the picture - I was trying to be very discrete in my picture-taking...and failed) was BBQ chicken which was juicy and bursting with flavour. Rice was served on the side, but it wasn't your run-of-the-mill rice dish. I feel like there was some magical ingredient added because I had to refrain from getting 5 servings! It's one of the best rice sides I've had in my life, which is saying a lot because I've eaten it almost everyday from birth until I moved out of home a year ago...consequence of having an asian parent :P.


And we had a little cutie who soaked up ALL our attention during the dinner. Meet Jackson, quite possibly the most adorable puppy on the planet! I wanted to take him home. He would have actually fit in my purse!

Dessert was only a 10-minute walk away and thanks to some previous google-mapping we were able to find our location without any trouble :). The moment we walked in we was greeted by Ryan, his girlfriend, and the comforting aroma of gingerbread. After settling in and enjoying some guitar jams, they presented us with the option of two desserts:
  • Warm gingerbread served with homemade lemon glaze, or
  • Pear and blueberry crisp, served with Foxhill vanilla ice cream
Thankfully they also offered the option of both, which I definitely took them up on! How was I to choose when they both looked equally delicious?


At one point my classmate and I simultaneously took a bite that captured the gingerbread, the crisp, and the ice cream all together and let out involuntary "Mmmmmmmmm's". There were truly no words that could do this dessert justice. It was perfect on every level!

Thank you Med I's for the delicious food and the wonderful company! You guys are awesome and I'm looking forward to getting to know you more throughout the year :).

3 comments:

  1. I think it's so cool how you get the chance to bond with all the other Med students. Med school is so rigorous and I think it's great that you are able to make time for a healthy social life, blogging, and healthy living. You are superwoman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have definitely gotten both desserts too :)

    What a fun way to get to know the other Med students - bonding over food woooo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Thanks Britt! I don't always feel like superwoman but I'm glad that my school really encourages us to keep our personal/social lives intact :).

    And food is definitely the best thing to bond over. Nothing can replace a good home-cooked meal!

    ReplyDelete