Monday, October 24, 2011

A not-so-domestic cheesecake dessert

There are some ingredients that I take for granted. One of them is cream cheese. I've used blocks of it on several occasions and have never given two thoughts to how it is made. After a few minutes of googling I concluded that it's best to appreciate the cream cheese for what it is, because a true homemade batch involves scary things...like 5 days of prep!! I won't be making that anytime soon!

So until I muster up the courage to be a Domestic Goddess, I will take the easy way out. Because honestly, I'd rather invest my time to make tasty desserts rather than devote 5 days to a block of cream cheese...only to protect it with the ferocity of a mother elk.

The recipe below is one I made a couple years ago when I worked at the IWK Children's Hospital. I'm not sure why I haven't come back to it since because it is absolutely delicious. I'll be bringing it to tutorial tomorrow (and Wednesday if there are leftovers) so I'm hoping my classmates enjoy cheesecake  flavour as much as I do!

To make Cheesecake Bars, you will need:
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 (8 oz.) packets of cream cheese, room temperature
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 3 Tbsp lemon juice (I didn't have any so I substituted with 1 tsp lemon extract)
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 350F. Blend butter, brown sugar and flour in a medium bowl until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Like so!
Set aside 1 cup of the mixture (it will be used as the topping). Press the remaining mixture on the bottom of a greased 9x13" pan. Bake for 15 minutes.

Before
After
Meanwhile, mix cream cheese and sugar until smooth.


Add eggs, milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat thoroughly.

Spread over the baked crust and sprinkle with brown sugar/butter/flour mixture previously set aside.

Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool and then chill in the fridge.

Cut into squares, share with friends and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment