Thursday, October 20, 2011

Suspicious wine glasses

This morning I felt like I had a bit of explaining to do to my roomies, because if they woke up at 7am they would have seen an dirty wine glass in the sink. You know school is getting tough when...

...

Just kidding! No, I did not need an eye opener. The truth is that all our glasses were dirty so I had to resort to what was left :D.

Quite a sophisticated smoothie, if I do say so myself!


Why breakfast so early? I decided to do my elective today and had to be at the hospital for 7:20am. *croak*. Although my preceptor is away, we arranged for me to watch a pacemaker operation! For a surgery it's a fairly "simple" procedure but it involves x-ray which means...

PROTECTION!


Yup, I got to wear an oh-so-stylish lead vest and buckle skirt. And don't forget about the thyroid protector (not pictured above)! They need to take x-rays during the procedure to ensure the leads (wires which sense the heart's electrical activity) are positioned correctly. Wearing the vest/skirt combo was pretty exciting for the first 20 minutes...until my body realized it was carrying an extra 15 pounds. I almost wanted to consider that my strength training for the day!! In any case, I'm sure my ovaries are thanking me right now for the protection :P.

Elective was followed by clinical skills (Week 5 of the Neuro exam) and when I got home I was actually dying to go to the gym. My legs were feeling very restless and the heavy rainfall wasn't helping! I ended up doing:

Chest/Shoulders
Incline Dumbell Press (3x15)
Dumbell Shoulder Press (3x15)
Side lateral raise (3x15)
Standing dumbell upright row (3x15)

Abs
Jacknife sit-up (3x15)
Knee/Hip raise (3x15)

Hamstrings/Glutes/Calves
Seated leg curl (3x15)
Barbell lunge (3x15)
Stiff-legged barbell deadlift (3x15)
Bounce bounce squat (3x15)
Stability ball leg curl (3x15)
Standing calf raises (3x20)
Seated calf raises (3x20)

It looks like a lot typed out but it didn't take too long to do. To refuel afterwards I made myself a salad and a mini quinoa stir fry...quite possibly the best flavoured stir fry I have made in my life! The secret? Peanut butter. I'm convinced it makes the world go round. Go ahead and try it. I don't think you'll be disappointed :). The egg also gave the dish a wonderfully fluffy texture.


To make a QUINOA STIR FRY you will need:
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- A splash of soy sauce
- Pepper
- Random veggies
  1. Heat a tsp of olive oil in a frying pan.
  2. Add quinoa and egg. Fry until egg is cooked.
  3. Mix in veggies.
  4. In a small bowl, mix peanut butter, soy sauce, pepper, and a small amount of water (1-2 Tbsp). Drizzle over quinoa/egg/veggies.
  5. Cook the stir fry for another minute to allow the flavour of the PB sauce to soak in.
  6. Serve and enjoy!


Happy Thursday :)

1 comment:

  1. That might just be the most sophisticated smoothie I've ever seen. :) You are so lucky you get to watch all those operations. I'm jealous! Ohhh that protection is sylin', part of the spring 2012 collection perhaps?

    ReplyDelete