Monday, October 31, 2011

The trick-or-treater that never was...

I have a confession that will shock your socks off...

...or maybe you'll will say meh, shrug your shoulders and continue on with your Monday night.

I have never gone trick-or-treating in my life.

Sometimes when I tell friends that they stare at me as if I've sprouted a third eyeball. The truth is that as a child my church put on an event called Holy Night where everyone would come dressed as Bible characters, play games, and receive a grocery bag full of candy. It was actually a lot of fun! I'm pretty sure I went as Rebekah a few times (soooo original), but I also distinctly remember a year that I went as an angel. It was all good until one of the girls there (also dressed as an angel) said "My costume's better because I have WINGS". Six-year-old wingless Rebekah was officially crushed...the thought of it still stings :P.

When I got too old to trick-or-treat I crossed my fingers that a friend would throw a Halloween party that I could attend. So, yes...my first time dressing up post-childhood was in 2008 at the tender age of 20. I grabbed some of my mom's sample Mary Kay makeup and dressed up as an '80s chick/japanese girl from the Babysitters Club.

If only I could wear that shade of pink lipstick everyday!
Note the hot pink leg warmers...and the side pony complete with scrunchy
The following year I recycled my high school uniform and went as a japanese school girl. The costume involved false eyelashes...and fake nails *shudder*. If you want to read about my fingers being glued together for a good 20 minutes, read the second post on my blog.


Fast forward to 2010 - after the nail mishap I decided to keep things simple with a kitty costume. It cost me a total of $2. Do you like my friend Chris' dress? He went as Amarea's bridesmaid.


Oh Chris, you should have been here jumping with us ;)
Now to the present, 2011: This year marks my first ever group costume and it was a pretty awesome experience. I discovered the power of glue guns for costume-prep. Goodbye needles & thread! Muahaha.

We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz!
Hope you've had a fun Halloween weekend!

2 comments:

  1. That's so sad about the wingless angel. Mentality wise I think you made the better angel ;). Sort of curious who the other angel (or would it be demon o.o) was lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I still remember the girl's face...and I think her name too! If I run into her again I'll try not holding it against her. :P

    ReplyDelete