Thursday, July 28, 2011

Chicka chicka ka-pow!

Phew! What a day at the hospital! It was off to the OR this morning and from a student perspective it was awesome. But as far as things going according to plan...well...let's just say a procedure that should have been relatively short ended up taking 3.5 hrs!! After the operation the whole team was in need of a caffeine-boost.

By the time I arrived home I was famished! I didn't even realize how hungry I was until I started eating. Lucky for me, my housemate was making falafel burgers and offered some to me! It was placed in a whole wheat wrap with some tabouleh and went directly to my stomach. Yummm! Unfortunately though, my hunger took precedence over food photography. I do apologize!

Afterwards I had chickpea blondies. Chickpea whaaaaaa? Chickpea blondies. I've read amazing reviews for them and had to try it for myself! Now, I'll be honest with you...they don't quite live up to the real thing. But if you're looking for a healthy treat, they can hit the spot (they did for me).

To make this treat you will need:
  • 1 15 oz can of chick peas
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (or more, if you're a cinnamon fan!)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tbsp almond butter
  • 1/2 banana, ripened
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seed
  • a pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 350F. Blend chick peas & egg whites in blender until smooth. Add remaining ingredients except ground flax seed and continue to blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in ground flax seed (or just stir it in the blender if you hate dirtying extra dishes like me). Grease an 8x8" dish and pour the batter in. Bake for approximately 25 minutes.

These are best eaten when cool.

You wouldn't even know they had a secret ingredient! They look so innocent :P

Now it's off for a run! I actually don't feel like running today but know that my body will feel so much better afterwards. I'm counting on you to keep me accountable :)


Have you ever tried incorporating a secret ingredient when baking? How did it turn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment