Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Eat Your Greens - Part II

I'm on a green kick again!! And this time the culprit is...

Brussel sprouts

I know what you're probably thinking. Ewww...brussel sprouts look like little brains. You couldn't even pay me to eat them, let alone make them for supper! Fair enough, I can't force you to love them but I can try to make you like them...even just a little ;).

I picked up my brussel sprouts from the Farmer's Market on Saturday with the pure intention of trying a new recipe. After a bit of searching I found one from HowSweetItIs and knew that it was a winner.

For one, it uses toasted pecans...


...as well as sautéed onions and garlic.


After chopping the ends off the brussel sprouts and cutting them in half I added them to the onions/garlic and roasted for about 10 minutes.


Then I added the toasted pecans and drizzled browned butter over the whole thing.



Did you hear that? I think my arteries just cried in anguish. But everything in moderation, right?

Riiiiiight.

So, the next time you're looking to be an adventurous eater, think of the humble brussel sprout. You may be pleasantly taken by surprise :).



Pan-Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Brown Butter & Toasted Pecans (from HowSweetItIs)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 lb raw brussel sprouts, halved with stems cut off
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup pecans
Toast pecans in a skillet over medium/low heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring every minute to prevent burning.

Heat olive oil over medium/high heat in a large skillet. Saute onion and garlic until slightly golden in colour (~3 minutes). Add brussel sprouts, salt and pepper and cook for 10-15 minutes until brussel sprouts are soft. Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat**. Remove brussel sprouts from heat and stir in pecans. Drizzle butter over everything, serve, and enjoy!

**Note: original recipe says to whisk butter continuously until it gets golden in colour and gold flecks appear. I kind of attempted this but ultimately failed, perhaps because I don't have a whisk and I wasn't really even stirring the butter. Maybe next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment