Thursday, January 26, 2012

Fine dining at the my doorstep

Sometimes the best-kept secrets of your city are right at your own doorstep. And while Onyx and their Wednesday special is not much of a secret in Halifax I am still surprised that I've never been before, especially since I literally live a hop away from the restaurant.

Last night I went for a relaxing evening out with some classmates to Onyx and enjoyed every moment of it, from the company to the atmosphere. Oh and the Wednesday special of course :)

Live Jazz (no cover)
No corkage fee
1/2 price appetizers

Now that's my kind of deal ;).

I ended up splitting 3 different appetizers with my roomie Helen because we pretty much wanted to try every single thing on the menu! In the end we ordered:

Beef carpaccio - razor thin slices of beef tenderloin, shaved parmesan, black truffles;


Ahi tuna, dusted with fennel seed, lavender & crushed pepper, pineapple-banana pepper relish; and


Arancini - fried saffron risotto balls with double charred tomato sauce.


Every dish was delicately assembled to perfection but if I had to choose a favourite it would be the beef carpaccio. It was an excellent blend of savoury, spicy, and sweet. I swear it appeared in my dream that night!!

After the appetizers we were all in the mood for a sweet indulgence. Cec ordered the blackforest cake (deconstructed) while Tish ordered the creme brulee with chocolate biscotti. Both looked amazing!


As for Helen and myself, we ordered the apple pie which was prepared right by our table and served with aged cheddar.


Cheddar and apple...who knew it was such a good combination!!



Onyx, I will definitely be back soon to explore the rest of your appetizer menu. Thank you for your awesome Wednesday special!

No comments:

Post a Comment