Sunday, January 15, 2012

Branching out!

Last week I confessed that I'm not much for new years resolutions but that I do make monthly goals with my roomie Marion. Well yesterday, one of my January resolutions was fulfilled:

Try a new (healthy) recipe

Branching out and trying new recipes is a big step for me. It's not that I'm a picky eater...I am simply a creature of habit. I'd like to think I was conditioned to this behaviour from childhood where my lunches from day-to-day went something like this:

Primary - Grade 5: peanut butter sandwiches
Grades 6-8: nutella sandwiches
Grades 9-12: soup

You get the picture. If that doesn't say habitual then I don't know what does!

So yesterday when Marion said she needed to go to the supermarket I saw it as an opportune time to pick up the lacking ingredients for "Simple Eggs & Salsa" (pictured below).


It was actually quite easy (I break it down step-by-step here but the full recipe is also posted at the end). The salsa used 1cup diced tomato, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, 1/4 cup red onion and 1/4 cup red pepper. Mix together and add 2 Tbsp lime juice then refrigerate while prepping everything else.



Meanwhile I heated 2 tortilla wraps in the oven (250F for 5 min) and scrambled 1 egg with 2 egg whites. To the mixture I added 1/3 cup of the salsa and then spooned it into the wraps.


So...how was it? Pretty tasty actually! The only thing I would change would be to add some seasoning. Maybe a dash of salt and pepper to bring out the flavours. Either that or adding some ketchup would make this meal divine :).


Simply Eggs & Salsa

  • 1 cup tomato, diced
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1/4 cup red onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp lime juice
  • 1 egg
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 tortilla wraps
Preheat oven to 250F. Mix tomato, cilantro, red onion, red bell pepper and lime juice in a bowl. Place in refrigerator. Place tortilla wraps in the oven. Scramble the egg and egg whites, then add 1/3 cup of salsa. Take wraps out of oven and spoon the eggs and salsa onto them. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment