Monday, November 9, 2009

Review: Cute As A Cupcake

On Saturday, my friend Caroline gave me a lovely birthday gift - cupcakes! I've decided to rate them so we'll have a record to come back to. Please note the following:
  • I do love to bake and eat, however my tastebuds are not professionally refined...this is just a personal opinion.
  • 3/4 cupcakes were eaten on Day 2...so I have decided not to rate on texture
  • Yes, you read that right...3 cupcakes eaten in one day...all within the same hour. So by the time I got to the last one I was suffering from sugar overdose. I'm trying not to let this bias my review.

Where: Cute As A Cupcake (Saturday morning Farmer's Market in Halifax)

The cupcake package =). I love how they tie ribbons around each little cupcake. Very cute!


"Gimme S'more": Chocolate cupcake with a graham cracker base and crumbs sprinkled on top. A dollop of whipped marshmallow resting on a thin bed of what tasted like semi-solid chocolate.

Very tasty! The base was a pleasant surprise but the marshmallow wasn't my favourite . It just didn't really taste like marshmallow to me. The taste rating is taking into account the fact that the marshmallow may have lost its texture while sitting out for a few hours.

Taste: 4/5

Presentation: 5/5
"La La Lemon": Usually I am not a lemon fan but this was delicious! The cupcake itself was vanilla with vanilla (?) icing and a candied lemon garnishing the top. But once I bit into the cupcake there was a nice lemony surprise awaiting. The cupcake had lemon jelly squeezed into it (but not filled) so that the body of the cupcake was highlighted with the fresh taste of lemon!
Taste: 5/5
Presentation: 5/5
"P-nut Butter Truffle": I have to admit...at first bite I was disappointed. Even at second bite. I'm not sure if it's because I ate it on Day 2 but the chocolate seemed a little bland. By the third bite it got good. There was more punch to the chocolate flavour. Once again, there was a nice surprise awaiting inside...smooth creamy peanut butter (see below). Actually, it was hard but when I bit into it, it melted in my mouth. Even the chocolate frosting on top had a PB flavour (not sure if this was psychological though).
Taste: 3/5
Presentation: 5/5


"Triple Chocolate Threat": this cupcake lives up to its name! Unfortunately I cannot give it a true/pure rating since by I ate this little guy I was well beyond my sugar quota for the day! There was a little surprise inside - solid, but creamy chocolate. Chocolate frosting and caramel glaze topped the cupcake and made it look truly decadent!

Taste: ...based on how I was feeling...3/5...but if it was my only treat for the day it would probably be 4.5/5

Presentation: 5/5

I would like to conclude by thanking my fast metabolism for putting up with my abuse. Someday all of this will catch up with me. But in the meantime I will keep indulging my sweet tooth ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment