Friday, December 11, 2009

Elephant & Castle

Today I had my first experience at the new Elephant & Castle in Halifax (5171 George St.) when I went there for lunch with a friend. We didn't start walking with this place in mind...no...we more or less wandered the streets of Halifax until something caught our eye with some vegetarian-friendly menu options.

I was pleasantly surprised. To tell you the truth I was expecting the typical pub grub (i.e. pogue fado, lower deck) but they had a pleasing menu of childhood comfort foods (such as shepherd's pie and chicken pot pie) and then some more traditional UK food (bangers 'n mash, roast-beef stuffed yorkshire). I had to pass this all up for a veggie burger, described as:

A savory blend of vegetables, herbs and spices in a grilled patty, topped with Bruschetta tomatoes on foccacia with pesto mayo.

All I can say is yummmm. I will definitely be eating there again. The atmosphere was welcoming and although the ceiling is high-set, the layout cozy (at least at lunch time).

If you are wondering where the name Elephant & Castle came from, you're not alone. I found this article which sheds some light on the subject, as our waiter was unable to answer the question for us. Hope your culinary experience there is just as enjoyable as mine was!

No comments:

Post a Comment