Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The best brownies...ever

I'd be lying to you if I said these brownies were average. I'd also be lying if I told you that this wasn't the best brownie recipe I've ever tried...

...because it is.

The other day I was looking for a decadent dessert for a decadent evening and stumbled upon one at food.com: Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies.

My heart swooned at the thought.

So off I rushed to buy the lacking ingredients - mascarpone cheese, whipping cream, and semisweet chocolate. It was only when I got back to my apartment that I realized that I was low on butter. I grabbed my can of unsweetened applesauce from the fridge hoping it would make a decent substitute (which it did!). Applesauce means these brownies are healthy, right? Riiiiight.

Here are the ingredients, minus the sugar...somehow it sneaked its way out of this picture! 


All in all it's a simple recipe (posted at the bottom of this page).

Melt some butter and add applesauce.


When it starts to bubble add the chocolate chips. Let it sit for 30 seconds and then stir.


Then add the sugar and cocoa powder. Stir.


Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and softened mascarpone cheese.


And finally, add the flour and salt and stir.


Bake at 325F for 45-50 minutes (it was 45 for me).

Can you tell we're out of toothpicks by the hole in the centre? Hey, a knife works just as well!! :P


While brownies are cooling you get to make the silky ganache topping!

Semisweet chocolate + whipping cream + butter = heaven!!


Look at how it shines!


Pour the topping onto the brownies and smooth it out.


I ended up sticking my brownies in the fridge to speed up the cooling process. I'm lacking in the department of patience, especially when it comes to dessert.

Cut into squares and test one out...then test another out, just to confirm that they're THAT good.
 

These beauties are being stored in the fridge until tutorial tomorrow. The top one is to tempt my roomie ;).


But remember, these brownies are also amazing served alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream and fruit of your choice!


The applesauce substitute...the reduced sugar...the strawberry. Pfffft. If these brownies aren't healthy then I don't know what is! :P


The Best Chocolate Brownies...ever (adapted from here)

Brownies
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
  • 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (note: oat flour, made from ground oats, is also a good substitute!)
  • 1/8 tsp salt

Ganache
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 6 tbsp whipping cream
  • 3 tbsp butter

Preheat oven to 325F. Grease an 8" square pan.


Brownies:

Melt butter in a saucepan then add applesauce. Heat until it just starts to boil then add chocolate chips. Let stand 30 seconds then stir until smooth.

Stir in sugar and cocoa. Beat in mascarpone cheese, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Fold in the flour and salt.

Pour batter into greased pan and spread evenly. Bake 45-50 minutes. Let cool 10-15 minutes while making the ganache.


Ganache:

Heat butter and cream on medium heat until it starts to bubble then add chocolate chips. Let stand 30 seconds. Stir until smooth and shiny.

Pour ganache topping over brownies. It should spread fairly easily when it's still hot.

Let cool at least to room temperature (or place brownies in the fridge until firm). Cut when cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment