These may be the most amazing oatmeal raisin cookies you've ever had...but don't take my word for it. You'll have to try them for yourself ;).
It's actually been ages since I've made these cookies! I used to bake a batch almost every other week - taking them to emerg for volunteering, bringing them to work at the IWK...baking 8 dozen for engineers at my dad's work. Hmmm...maybe I just needed a bit of a break :P.
The best thing is that they are easy peasy to make (see recipe at bottom)!
Combine butter, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
Mix until fluffy and light in colour.
Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt. Mix just until flour isn't visible. This is actually really important because overmixing will develop the gluten, making a tough cookie.
Stir in oats and raisins. I tried something new this time and soaked the raisins in hot water and a touch of rum...the result was delicious.
Drop on a cookie sheet and bake 11-15 minutes at 350F.
Remove from cookie sheet after 2 minutes and place on cooling rack.
Eat one...then eat another just to confirm their greatness.
Best Oatmeal Raisin Cookies...Ever (adapted from this recipe)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp Kosher salt (less if butter is salted)
- 3 cups oats
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- hot water and 1-2 Tbsp rum (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Put raisins in bowl and fill with hot water until just covered. Add rum and let soak approximately 15 minutes.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla, and eggs in bowl and mix on high until fluffy and the colour lightens.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and Kosher salt. Mix just until flour is not visible (or else cookies will be tough).
- Add raisins (strained of water/rum) and oats. Stir to incorporate.
- Drop onto cookie dough sheet and bake 11-15 minutes (it took me closer to 15 but I made mine fairly large and was using a gas oven).
- Eat and enjoy :).